Thursday, June 19, 2014

Interesting lighting at Filoli

While in California I stopped by Filoli, a spectacular house museum that I have blogged about extensively in numerous posts HERE,  and noticed an unusual light fixture in the dining room.  The 'candles' of the sconces are torpedo shaped sleeves from which slits are hollowed out in the back to hide a much smaller bulb.
When one sees the fixture from afar they appear to be candle-lit sconces as no light bulb is visible but they still 'glow' providing ambient light.
Above you can even see how some of the sconces hold real candles while others hold the backlit torpedoes. I think I rather like this idea.  What about you, or is it trying too hard?

6 comments:

Chronica Domus said...

Yup, trying too hard, but this may be because they are used in a house museum and various fire safety laws need to be met. There is nothing like the real thing, even though I am considering sourcing some battery powered ones to use in a pair of 19th century glass storm bowls I own but too chicken to use wax candles in case of disaster.

I was fooled last year while sitting in St Mary Abbot church, just off Kensington High Street. I was gazing at the tall pillar candles flickering away, when I did a double take as I detected something was not quite right. Those were almost life-like imitations of candles that were very impressive indeed.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I think it's a neat idea, but I'd prefer to see the bulbs, if only because the hidden bulbs actually call too much attention to themselves.

Ann said...

I read about these once, if memory serves. I think they date to the start of electricity, when it was still quite unreliable so candles were included for back-ups. Hey, if it is coming from pragmatism, I'm all for it!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

So inventive and I really am fascinated by them, Your photography transports me there and it is a very special post.
Vera

Unknown said...


A no for me. I'm sure the create atmosphere but a bit odd.

Karena said...

Stefan I think this is ingenious, love the ambient lighting!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena