Friday, July 1, 2011

Neoclassical detail

Since we're on the subject, I wanted to share some more of the Neoclassic collections at the Getty. This lovely cabinet was almost architectural in its' detailing.

This Bed from 1775, a Lit a la Polonaise, would make any little girl's heart scream with desire (and it may do the same to mine, but I won't admit to it publicly).

This gilded settee reminds me of one from the aging courtesan's apartment in my favorite movie, Gigi; just made for a canoodle.

Of course, the Neoclassical style was sometimes severe and imposing but always beautiful -such as in this tableux above. I love the touch of whimsy in the chandelier though; it once had a gold fish swimming around the lower bowl. Neoclassisicm isn't all seriousness, it's all in the details!

6 comments:

The Devoted Classicist said...

Some historians contend the bowl of the chandelier in the last photo was intended for perfume or potpourri. Others question if it is a twentieth century assemblage. In any case, the chandelier, and all the other furnishings, are quite an eyeful!

Paul Gervais de Bédée said...

That bed a la Polonaise is stunning! Like sleeping in the poof of a crown!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I want that bed and I'm not little at all. A simpler version of that chandelier would be an exciting addition to a bedroom, preferably one in my house ;)

Mark D. Ruffner said...

That first cabinet is great. I always enjoy when Gothic is mixed in with Neoclassic. I've seen Biedermeier desks that are Neoclassic on the outside and Gothic on the inside - very cool.

Cynthia lambert said...

Encore, monsieur, encore. One can never have enough neoclassicm.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the bed!!
Your blog is a passport to such beauty, thank you.