Friday, October 29, 2010

Max Ernst lived here

Paris is a city of history. Plaques on nearly every house list famous occupants and you obtain quite the lesson just walking down the street. I wonder if anyone but tourists pay any attention to these signs.
One day while sightseeing we came upon this very grand house with lovely wooden gates and a plaque bearing the name of the artist Max Ernst.
It was in this house in Paris that he lived the remainder of his life after returning to France and where he passed away in 1976.
I love these courtyard type houses which are found all throughout the city. Gates and walls provide an outdoor room to seperate their occupants from the city, sort of like a foyer in an apartment.
There are many ways to live comfortably in the midst of a city through good planning and this just is one of them!

6 comments:

pve design said...

You really do not miss a beat. I think in all earnest, things find you when it comes to Architecture and Design. I can hear them clamouring for your attention...over here, yoohoo.
pve

David Toms said...

I always stop and read a plaque! You find out the most amazing things when you stop and do! I love the lines of this house and of course the doors!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. I think of New York and the elegant hotel and apartment building lobbies -- especially my favorite the old AT&T building lobby on lower Broadway.

OdCStudio said...

They are called Hôtels Particuliers....

No Sacrifice Bags said...

The gates are beautiful, so is the iron work on the windows.
I wish there were people today, able to build such romantic buildings.

Karena said...

Stefan this is amazing...after reading DV which I loved I started on The Mistress of Modernism, Peggy Guggenheim.

At 1 am I was reading chapters about her relationship with Max Ernst!!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena