Monday, March 9, 2009

Heidelburg & the student prince

'The Student Prince' is a great operetta by Sigmund Romberg turned into a movie in 1954 featuring the voice of Mario Lanza. Set in Heidelburg, seen above today, it features a prince at the turn of the 20th century, raised to be a military leader, learning to love and be a normal man while attending college in Heidelburg. This movie is so fun, see the song below


Mario Lanza's voice is in full form for many of the songs which are beautiful, romantic and fun! check out the movie if you haven't seen it! Below is the beautiful Ann Blyth singing another fun drinking song that really picks up around the 1st minute. This is one of my favorite movies in my collection, I've included a link to buy it on my sidebar in case you're interested too! you won't regret it!

7 comments:

Kwana said...

That was so much fun! A sophisticated beer fest.

Anonymous said...

Love that movie, the husband hates it. I want a beer drinking prince!

vicki archer said...

I will definitely check this one out - it sounds like my kind of movie, xv.

Anonymous said...

I was the stage manager for a production of "The Student Prince" in Annapolis several years ago. Some of the opera-goers commented that the piece was beneath them. Most loved it, however. My feeling is that opera houses need to feature one fluff piece a year to pay the bills! It was certainly more well-attended than Madame Butterfly. And certainly more hummable :-)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

M, you have to get your husband on the movie train! this movie is fantastic! lol

Vicki and Kwana, you will LOVE this movie! It's SO GOOD!

Cathedral, the opera snobs love to hate the operettas, which I don't understand! They're all the best parts of opera mixed into one! Like you said, you leave humming the music! Bring on the fluff!

Unknown said...

I am going to have to check this one out! It looks like my type of movie! Great post!
xoxo
Judith~

Anonymous said...

My mother was a Mario fan. I remember this song growing up but never knew where it was from.