Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pittsburgh from above

As long time readers of this blog know that while I've called Washington, DC home for nearly 13 years I'm originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; home to Heinz ketchup, robber barons, Andy Warhol, and Mr. Rogers.
This past labor day weekend I had the chance to play tour-guide for a few friends on a quick trip to the city which is thankfully only a 4 hour drive from DC.  Seeing your 'home' from a visitor's viewpoint is always eye-opening and left me with a new-found appreciation for the city.
After a day spent at Kennywood (a historic and very pretty amusement park set amid gardens) we visited downtown Pittsburgh from above. No not from a helicopter but on one of the 2 remaining funicular's or "inclines" which lead one from the river's edge up to the neighborhood of Mt. Washington overlooking the city. I believe at one time there were 13 of these cars operating along the river, some of which could even carry cars!
We had typical "Pittsburgh weather" as I call it - overcast and drizzly - but the sun was able to breakout a few times to enjoy the view.
If you ever find yourself in Pittsburgh treat yourself to a round trip on one of the 'inclines'!

11 comments:

Tara Dillard said...

Did Pittsburgh for the 1st time last year.

You left so much out.

It's rated one of USA's top 10 romantic cities.

Loved the restaurants atop the incline railway. The Frick, the people, our renovated ancient hotel downtown.

And all the rivers converging downtown. Along with their place in USA's history.

Loved your city. And, it's cheaper to fly into than Philly.

Also, did some beautiful drives into Amish areas from Pittsburgh. Then we drove off for a few days to the shore of Lake Erie.

Had advice from my Southern clients who were from Pittsburgh.

Will go again.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

Renée Finberg said...

i remembered you were from Pittsburgh. i went through a period when i really wanted to go there.
(when it was listed as one of the top cities to live in)
love the little tour!!

xx

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Tara, yes Pittsburgh has so much to offer! We were only there for 24 hours so Kennywood, Mt Washington, and Eat N Park were the most 'Pittsburgh' things I could think of to fit in on our brief visit!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Renee, it keeps getting better and better too! I'd move back if I could get interesting job opportunities for sure.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi Stefan,

As a fellow Pittsburgher, I two would take visitors up the incline for that spectacular view from Mt. Washington. I once saw the engine room of the incline (this was back in the 1970s) and was startled to discover that the machinery included wooden gears!!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Mark, I hadn't been on the incline in years and they've added a museum! And for 50 cents you can tour the engine room. As you said nothing has changed in the past century! haha

Karena said...

That would be such a treat Stefan, a really great way to view the city!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Woodside Park said...

I frequently go antiquing in Lancaster, New Oxford and Philadelphia. Will have to try Pittsburgh - looks like there are many historic homes. The inclines look fun!

Daniel Shigo said...

Ha! I grew up there as well, did you know that, and have family and friends there still. It's changed since I was a kid, though Kennywood is forever. I must go again. Thanks for this post.

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Stefan,
As a teen we would visit Pittsburg to visit with my parents friends. I haven't been back since. I want to ride the incline, tour the city, that over the past decade has become an alluring city to visit. Clean and beautiful and I want to wander through the Warhol museum. I feel a Fall trip being coordinated because ... One of my close friends Kim grew up in Pittsburg and his Mom still lives there. Seeing Pittsburg through the eyes of a former resident would be wonderful. Nice post!
Vera

Rick Bryant said...

Pittsburgh--great place! When I was a kid, my parents had a friend with an office on an upper floor of the Union Trust Building. I highly recommend its Gothic atrium as a venue for flying paper airplanes.
For some amusing Pittsburgh-ese, check out Greg & Donny Have An Accent on YouTube.
Keep up the good work and Go Stillers!