Friday, October 17, 2008

Halloween is coming.....

I have a confession to make: I'm not really into Halloween. I've always disliked it! My schedule has freed up quite a bit now that Martha's tv show has mostly Halloween crafts (thank god for tivo). But I thought I'd share some of these spooky tombstones from an old cemetary in a Pittsburgh neighborhood called Troy Hill. This Cemetary lies on a big hilltop overlooking the Allegheny River and beautiful downtown: spectacular views!Like many of these old working class neighborhoods, the cemetaries were a point of pride. Of course there are fancier, nicer cemeteries in the city(MANY OF THEM), but even in the poorest neighborhoods these beautiful places exist. These tombstones are certainly a lot more engaging than the granite slabs with a name that you see anymore. They speak of the 'inhabitants' and their life. Cemeteries were in places of honor where people would want to spend time remembering their loved ones: parks or places with a beautiful view; nicer than along the freeway out of town. The cemeteries of Pittsburgh live on as places where people not only visit their ancestors, but walk their dogs, jog or go to get away from it all. I don't think this is disrespectful but goes to show that we are all a part of something bigger. Is this all a little too deep for a posting about some pretty tombstones? Hope you enjoy them!

10 comments:

Zelda said...

halloween is not very Chanel !

pve design said...

I hear ya, back in Louisville, one of my favorite places to visit is Cave Hill Cemetery. The monuments, the angels, the designs are enough to just kill me.
Drop dead gorgeous.

Scott Fazzini said...

Ugh! I want to write a long comment about this post...but I'm late for work. Suffice it to say I'm a dork over the cemeteries of Pittsburgh, especially Homewood (located in Squirrel Hill). Thanks for reminding me!

Athenaeus said...

Love the pictures of the tombstones, they really don't do carving in tombstones or anything else for that matter like they used to. I'm a frequent cemetery visitor when on vacation; it's usually a quiet place to get away from the city, pay your respects to some of the city's famous inhabitants, and see some really interesting architecture and statuary.

Living the life in The Little City said...

Cemeteries fascinate me. Have you been to Congressional in D.C.?

ArchitectDesign™ said...

haha, Zelda -you're so right! It's not very Chanel! I should have included that in my post.

PVE, if I'm ever in Louisville! Here in Georgetown we have a really beautiful cemetery too, with some famous inhabitants. A beautiful park (but not as beautiful as in Pittsburgh)

Scott, glad you're still reading my little blog! The other cemeteries in pittsburgh are a lot nicer, but I always loved this little hidden away place.

Athenaeus, thats such a good idea to do while traveling. Every city has fascinating cemeteries!

72 and sunny said...

i love cool old cemeteries. there's one in cambridge, mass that's AMAZING.

i so don't get why we need to decorate for halloween.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Beach, I don't think we have to, LOL -I know I sure don't!! I guess if you have kids it's different though. I remember my parents putting out a jackolantern and those stupid plastic pumpkin buckets everywhere when I was a kid!

David said...

Architect, Halloween is a gay high holy day! Ok, I don't decorate either, past carving a pumpkin or two. But I do put on my hot cop uniform and go out. And I almost never go out. But going out in uniform is incredibly fun...

Back to the point, I wasn't planning to visit Pere Lachaise while we're here, but after looking at these pics I may have to rethink that. Thanks for posting!

pve design said...

The best is the Dutch Burial Ground in Sleepy Hollow here, where the annual "Headless Horseman" rides again. Not far from me.