Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Shopping in DC: GoodWood

In anticipation of 'Black Friday' later this week I thought I would share with you some of my shopping from this past weekend. I stopped in one of my usual haunts on DC's U Street NW, Goodwood.
GoodWood used to be more of a vintage furniture store but has turned itself into an authentic version of what Anthropology tries to be. The styling in the store is always artful and really fun to walk around. As with most vintage shops there is something for everyone hidden around the next corner, no matter your taste.
I love this antique cabinet which holds antique china, tea, and teapots. I wish I had a cabinet like this in my apartment for my collection!
 These antique Minton cups and saucers were selling for only $8 a set and there were dozens of them.
One of the most interesting item(s) was this pair of faux "faux bois" French armchairs which are very Michael Taylor'esque.
Some details of the chair -really charming- I wish I had a place for these! Also notice the vintage carpet on the floor: lots of affordable antique rugs.
This lovely antique French mirror is deceivingly tall - it wouldn't look out of place in any embassy in town.
Unfortunately there was only one of these mid-century sconces with a Greek key motif or I would have snapped it up!  Someone had done an unfortunate paint spattering to the shaft but thats easy to undo with some sandpaper and a can of black spray paint.  Did you do any fun shopping this past weekend?

3 comments:

Deana Sidney said...

I have a cousin of that lamp. What's really cool about it is that you pull the whole pole down to turn the lamp on and off.. it took us a while to figure that out!
I agree that the store is a blast -- we do have similar tastes (like I've always wanted to have a giant glass fronted cabinet in the kitchen too).
One day I'll get to Washington to visit these stores!

Karena said...

A wonderful shop Stefan, yes I would love to have that cabinet and the faux bois chairs are beautiful!

Happy Thanksgiving!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Daniel Shigo said...

Love the Minton! They are a steal for that price!