Monday, March 31, 2014

Let there be light

One of the most underrated light fixtures in my humble opinion is the sconce. Mounted at eye level sconces create flattering light unlike the shadow lines created on ones' face from overhead lighting. Also, they don't take up precious table space like lamps or clutter a room like floorlamps.
This weekend I helped a friend install some antique sconces we had picked out at Artisan Lamp (my favorite lighting source here in DC) onto some existing built-in bookshelves in his den. The effect is magical particularly in this small room without any existing lighting!
Not only are they the jewels of the room, the warm light cast by them is ultimately flattering and practical. Don't forget sconces in your next project!

8 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

They look fantastic in that cozy space!

David said...

A friend of mine did this same thing when he had some shelves built. The sconces really make it feel more substantial.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I would also add that there is little that can compete for richness in a room than books that have a glow!

Chronica Domus said...

My favorite item in my dining room (aside from the table), is a pair of candle sconces mounted to my wall. The light they imit is just the right glow to flatter both the room and my guests.

I love what you've done with the bookshelves you feature in your photos. Well done!

My Notting Hill said...

Beautiful. Love that green too. Just curious, were they plug in or regular? They look like they're hard wired.

Karena said...

They add that ambient light and such a touch of elegance as well!
Xoxo
Karena

Windlost said...

I couldn't agree more!! Sconces are amazing - so many beautiful options and no space required! They are such a lovely touch and a very smart detail in a layered room.
Wonderful choice too!!

home before dark said...

I second what Mark Ruffer said. For all of us members of the Dying Breed of Book Readers, this kind of room will always feel soulful and soul nourishing.

I love layers of light in a room and these two lovelies are just perfect. Now that you are basking in the glow of the successful install—and I am assuming, toasting with sufficient adult beverages—tell me just how hard it was to wire these puppies up through the millwork.