Friday, February 10, 2012

A perfect Games Table

The purpose of my trip to NY this past weekend was to shop for a project. One of my favorite furniture companies is Theodore Alexander, whom I have blogged about many times in the past from my trips to Market (headed back this spring, who will be there? Let me know). In their showroom at ABC Home and Carpet (arguably my favorite spot in NY) I came across this William and Mary styled games table that really took my breath away. The standard Theodore Alexander high quality is there but the charm of the piece is what got to me. The fretwork on the cabinet, the practical drawers, the turned legs and the ogee x stretcher -could this be any cuter? The top has a sliding component with a chess/checkers board on one side and a gorgeously tooled leather top on the other: Underneath is a backgammon set. The 2 drawers are generously sized to hold a variety of other games. Put this one on my wish list, please! What do you think?
No, this is not a paid advertisement but if Theodore Alexander wanted to send one or two of these my way I wouldn't argue!

11 comments:

Kwana said...

I love it! My DH and I often play backgammon at night and this would be so much fun to have.

Ann said...

Barley twist games table? Yes please. Can they send one my way too?

pve design said...

Stunning table. Just think of the fun after a proper dinner party. I have admired Theodore Alexander's furniture before.
Have a fun weekend.
pve

Windlost said...

that is stunning. it is a dream to find a piece one truly covets. i am slowly buying furniture but don't often find anything i desperately need to have. i love that feeling. of course, they are always over budget.

i see that pretty leigh and leslie keno white furniture in the background with the (weirdly misplaced) silver legs...i would swap those legs out fast...
:)

Parnassus said...

Somehow this has a 1960's retro look to me.

Deana Sidney said...

It has a playful quality... taking a turn at a style but not being a slave to it... very charming... I'm a sucker for a stretcher.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Stefan - I had a deja vu experience looking at this photo, and then I realized that the furniture and coloring all had the look of Bill Blass' apartment. Yes, I could see the table in his place, if not yours!

Hels said...

I am a huge fan of metamorphic furniture. Although this games table doesn't actually move and change, it does try to function for a number of different purposes, saving space in the living room. The multi-purpose design is very clever.

Hels
http://melbourneblogger.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/regency-furniture-metamorphic-clever.html

Divine Theatre said...

It would be perfect in the Library, next to the fireplace!
I just bought a Louis XVI chess table on Craigslist. The ormolu is killer!
I am teaching my daughter how to play chess. Imagine a game that people have such passion for that they build furniture around it! I have never seen a Chutes and Ladders table, have you?

xo
Andie

Unknown said...

Beautiful, just yesterday I saw one too in Hudson on Hudson, the little design capital of upstate New York!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

That is a beauty! We have a games table that is hand painted and one of my most favorite pieces, more people should incorporate them into their rooms, interesting and of course so fun!!!