Wednesday, September 28, 2011

McGorlick Park


While in Brooklyn a few weeks ago, I came across a small city park that I had never heard of in Greenpoint, which was surprising considering its' loveliness, Monsignor McGorlick Park.Opened in 1891, the park gained beautiful structures and monuments throughout its' history which attracted my eye. Designed in 1910 by the architectural firm Helmle, Huberty and Hudswell who built many impressive structures in Brooklyn, the main building housed M and W bathrooms seperated by a covered curved colonnade.The beautiful neo-classical detailing of the structure isn't surprising as Helmle received his training at the well known architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White. The yellow brick and limestone facade also features a beautiful segmented beadboard ceiling with trimwork picked out with yellow paint.I just think this is such a lovely building, don't you? I wonder what the original light fixtures were (the junction boxes are still in the ceiling)Located inside the crescent shaped building is a WWI memorial created by noted sculptor Carl Augustus Herber in 1923.In her left hand Winged Victory holds a laurel for victory and a palm frond for peace in the other.While I was drawn in by the architecture, I believe the locals simply appreciate the open space and lush green!








McGorlick Park is located between Driggs and Nassau Avenues & Russell and Monitor streets in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

5 comments:

Allison Egan said...

So lovely. I especially like the paired columns and the ceiling molding details!

xo Allison
Spicer + Bank
www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

The Devoted Classicist said...

What a wonderful example of classical Civic architecture! And I have noticed some great Art Deco sculptures, like the one in the first photo, in little parks scattered around Brooklyn and Queens.

Nadia Palacios said...

How beautiful! It makes me think of Paris!

Michael Hampton said...

Beautiful buildings and grounds.The building must have been inspired by the marble trianon

Home Construstion said...

I agree. I'm wondering why this park is unheard of? In fact it is lovely.