Monday, February 14, 2011

Back from Paradise

Heather and I are back from our whirlwind trip to Miami and Nassau and I have to say the weather was the best part of the trip; 80 and sunny every day!
My favorite part of the trip, other than the weather, was visiting the incredible Vizcaya. I've been to a LOT of house museums, as you all know, but this ranks in my top 5. Imagine a gorgeous, fantastical palace set amidst stunning gardens with views of Miami Bay and you have Vizcaya. I can't wait to share more of the mansion with you.
Later in the trip I was also able to tour the historic Biltmore Hotel in charming Coral Gables. This grand old dame was no disappointment and I wish we had stayed here for a few extra days!
The interiors appear to be original which is rare in a high end resort. I'm not sure which would be a better location for a wedding: Vizcaya or the Biltmore! And I can't forget the fabulous inaugural cruise of Oceania's Marina. It was the first cruise for each of us and I have to say, we're spoiled for all future cruising!The line prides itself on incredible food and service, including the inestimable Jacques Pepin who we met, ate dinner in his restaurant (in part prepared by him) and received a signed cookbook. We docked in Nassau for a day but the best part was relaxing on our private deck with a view of the town. Weather, food, friends and gorgeous locations; Who can ask for more from a vacation?

14 comments:

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Next trip, which I know there will be, let me take you on a day shopping trip in West Palm Beach. Then you will need a boat to take home your goodies!
I promise....

Renée Finberg said...

congratulations.
it sound like you had a ball.

looking forward to more snaps.

happy V Day xx

The Devoted Classicist said...

A dream vacation!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Jane- we kept looking for thrift shops as you suggested but never found any!

Renee -many more photos and posts to come!

Devoted -it really was, particularly because of the weather!

quintessence said...

Sounds heavenly. Saw the beautiful on-board shots over at Heather's place - what an exquisite boat. Looking forward to your Vizcaya revelations and totally envious just seeing you barefoot outside!!

David Toms said...

Stefan, I suppose it is now very hard being back in wintery DC! Cannot wait to see more photos of your fabulous little getaway! we will all be living vicariously through you!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Stefan, it's good to have you back! I visited with someone who was employed for the better part of a year restoring wall decorations at the Biltmore. I think it's all original design, but it's gone through a lot of loving restoration.

The Peak of Chic said...

So glad that you had such a fun trip, Stefan!

David said...

Now that looks like a great trip. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kwana said...

Thanks for sharing. With this bad weather I needed a break. happy Valentine's Day!

ChipSF said...

Looking forward to your Vizcaya pics. Have never visited but have always been intrigued by this fantasia built on a swamp.

What else is in your top 5 that we should have on our lists?

Anonymous said...

That was a fast trip! Can't wait for your views on Vizcaya... Hope you spent some time in the gardens.

architect idea said...

A really great picture, whit the boat. It looks really great.

Janet said...

Sounds just about perfect. You deserved it! Can't wait to see more of Vizcaya.