Monday, January 4, 2010

Beachhouse blues

This frigid weather has me thinking of warmer climates and the beach: What about you? In the October 2009 edition of Elle Decoration is a beautiful house on the water in Normandy.
Look at that view from the terrace! Would love to have a glass of iced tea on this terrace and soak up the sun.
The interiors focus on the magnificent views as well, thanks to the gracious color scheme which does not compete for attention. I think this lends a very relaxed atmosphere. It's not fussy but you know a lot of care and planning went into this decoration.
I especially liked the white washed wood walls found throughout the house. The seagrass carpets help make some of the more formal antiques feel casual. The simple treatment of the interiors throughout adds to the vacation 'aire' of the house.
The living room has ample seating for a large group of friends. I can imagine sitting around the fireplace on chilly nights with a few bottles of wine. Even the artwork fits into the color scheme which generally I find a little forced, but works in a beach house such as this for me.
The kitchen continues the gray and mirrored surfaces. The space looks small and efficient with some interesting storage ideas. I love the all glass cabinets which seperate the cooking area from the breakfast room. Check out the interesting glass ventilation hood.
The house seems to have a great flow to it. Very few doors and lots of big windows.
The small den looks like a great place to curl up with a book on a rainy day. I think the high placement of the sconces is unusual, but helps to bring the high ceilings down a bit for a less formal feeling.
The master bedroom is an ocean of white and blue which is so inviting!
Even the master bathroom has a cozy nook to curl up onto with the built in bench. A lot of thought was obviously put into how this house is used daily. Quiet private areas as well as more gracious entertaining zones coexist in a grand but informal style without sacrificing the flow of spaces.
I hope this house reminds everyone of warmer days to come!
House of Sophie Seguela as photographed by Nicolas Tosi.

26 comments:

Suzy said...

Love it!

Marija @ Holding Court said...

Beautiful images. If they could keep THAT hood clean, I should be able to keep mine clean. I love that you posted a grey and mirrored kitchen. Just completed my kitchen using same combo but I keep seeing bright white kitchen that have me second guessing myself! Love your blog...

Greet Lefèvre said...

I also have seen this article in the Elle Magazine! It is a gorgeous house!
I could move in immediately!
Have a nice week!
Greet

lady jicky said...

As you know its hot here and those wonderful seaside colours that run right through the house are very cooling and restful.

Summer Candia said...

This house is beautiful, I love the view from the window seat near the top of the post.. I would love to be able to sit there sipping my coffee with a good book! :)

Karena said...

Oh how I would love to get away! It is 3 degrees this morning and may go down to-12 below ) by Friday am. Now I remember one of the reasons I loved living in San Diego!

Terry said...

You had me with just the roof. Is the house old or new. I'm thinking new.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'm not sure if it's old or new, Terry - my french is minimal so I couldn't really read the article -just translate the captions! My guess is it is an old house though (based on the unevenness of the roof and brickwork) that was gut remodeled (based on the openness and slickness of the interiors)

ALL THE BEST said...

Lovely! Got your email and will send you recommendations. It's a wonderful city. Happy New Year!

Habitually Chic said...

So pretty! But is Normandy warm? I think I might need a warmer warm weather destination. How about Mexico?!

Lucindaville said...

My feet feel warmer just looking at those photos.

My Notting Hill said...

Love it - one fo my favorite houses you posted on. I know, isn't this icy wind the pits!

Linda Merrill said...

What a gorgeous place! A perfect summer retreat, but I was in Normandy in the end of March a few years ago an it was bitter cold and very rainy!

Unknown said...

chic, chic. chic!

happy new year stefan!

Hels said...

The house is very beautiful but I always think of a beach house as a small, cheap and easily maintained shack that is mainly used during the summer months.

Assuming the beach house is the family's second house and not the primary residence, I would still love the grey and mirrored surfaces, the uncarpeted floors, the wonderful windows and the great veranda.

Hels
Art and Architecture, mainly

the.neo.lifestyle said...

Wonderful house agree with you :-)

Nice mix of furniture.

Have a nice week

David

Janet said...

Love all the lavender walls...thanks for warming up my day!

James said...

Thanks for sharing, it's a beautiful home indeed. It almost looks like one you'd see in America based on the interiors.

Anonymous said...

Fab Blog. Have just stumbled across
you. So will follow in the future.
Robert Webber
Hegartywebberpartnership UK

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

So stunning and just what I needed on a frigid day like today. Those big windows, the view and the kitchen are great.

I also love the use of texture, very inviting.

alice said...

This is stunning. I love that it's absolutely French but very clean and tailored. The Kitchen makes my heart skip a beat!

Unknown said...

What a dream space! Just fantastic! I love mauve and it's relatives...with white and taupes...and a bit of black mixed in!

Happy New Year, Stefan!

XX
Victoria

Errant Aesthete said...

As noted, you can feel the flow of the currents of water through the navigation of the rooms. Simply exquisite.

Rikke said...

Wow - such beautiful pictures!!!
Like your blog:)

Topsy Turvy said...

Egads! That kitchen is gorgeous! Not to mention the rest of the house.
–Lana

Thomas said...

LOVE..i wish to have a house on the beach one day.