Monday, November 16, 2009

John Derian's "stuff"

In the December 2009 issue of Vanity Fair (which smells really good this month, or am I crazy? Like the entire magazine is one big perfume ad), John Derian weighs in on his 'stuff' in the monthly column. I wrote about a visit I paid his beautiful store in Provincetown, Massachusetts HERE.Above is the decoupoge dish I purchased and holds my keys while home. Needless to say, I was so excited to read what his favorite products were as he has sold me some of mine!
I was happy to note he uses the same kiehl's products as me (I really love the amino acid shampoo seen above and highly recommend it) and he of course notes the Astier de Villatte products that he sells in his stores that I've grown addicted to myself.
I love that his 'stuff' seems very real, grounded and interesting (unlike lots of the celebrities who name-drop fancy companies and are probably paid to do so).
Also, two pages later (116) is an article about the fantastic new online magazine, Lonny.
Make sure to check out this issue of Vanity Fair -support the few magazines we have left!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Great minds think alike!!!

I love that stuff too, some of it at least! LOVE Derian's decoupage pieces, they are devine!

Have to smell that issue....
I am an olfactoric addict!

XX
Victoria

Julio Muao said...

Ha! My partner and I commented about this month's magazine smelling better than usual as well. He liked the Chanel No.5 and I liked Lancome's Tresor and Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist. I love Kiehl's facial fuel scrub and ultra facial moisturizer. Did you read James Wolcott's I'm a culture critic...Get me out of here! It's pretty funny.

Windlost said...

I am quite fond of Mr.Derian's designs. I visited a wonderful shop in Paris that had a ton of his pieces.

pve design said...

I must pick up my own copy of Vanity Fair....
love his "stuff"-
pve

Anonymous said...

john derian . . . not michael . . .

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Victoria, I learned a new word today thanks to you: olfactoric!
Julio -i use the same moisturizer and the scrub!
windlost -which store? The astier de villatte on rue faubourg?
PVE -don't miss it!
Thanks anon - typo!

Kathleen (House Things) said...

I'll have to grab a copy of Vanity Fair. I still prefer real paper magazines to online magazines, but Lonny is so good, I'll have to adapt.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Kathleen, I too prefer the paper magazines, but I think there is room for both :-) I'll be checking out the new Lonny issue that is coming out in December!

Karena said...

I love to hear what the top ten, can't live without items are from those we admire. Oh and my first boyfriend gave me Chanel #% perfume and dusting powder! I will have to get a copy of Vanity Fair, as I am subscribing right now

Rose C'est La Vie said...

I got a sweet shock of recognition here, Stefan. I use Kiehl's amino acid shampoo but their olive oil stuff is even silkier. Their products certainly don't shout luxe at you on the bathroom shelf but give you a quiet glow of confidence!

But more than the shampoo bottle I was excited to see those handsome geometric patterned notebooks which I have come across only once. I kept regretting I didn't buy one. I will now.

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

I've always been the biggest John Derian fan!

Abby said...

I love the My Stuff column every month, but agree that I love it more when it's stuff that's actual somewhat normal and not just a paid advertisement.

Thomas said...

so true...need to support the magazines!

katiedid said...

LOVE John Derian. I still remember his home in Elle Decor. I could easily slip right in a stay. Do you think he would notice?