Monday, September 29, 2008

The Duchess review

Earlier last week I mentioned the movie, The Duchess. I went to see it this weekend and really liked it. I didn't love it but it was really a great film.
The story felt a little glossed over at points but I plan on reading the book to fill in the details. The sets were, of course, beautiful -mostly the table settings! I left this movie hungry! The clothes were beautiful as well but not in your face (like in marie antoinette). The whole film reads very believable and accurate seeming, but not as dreamy and as great a film as 'Marie Antoinette' -however, thats just personal opinion. I would give it a B+ and definitely go check it out on the big screen for all the details that you won't notice at home!

7 comments:

erin said...

really like your posts. i found you via style court's post on The Villa. Meant to write before, but time flew... I was the person who posted that I lived there as a child. It was beautiful, magical really. I don't have any indoor shots, but i'm sure my parents do. I have to ask them to look, if we find anything i'll be sure to share:-)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Thanks so much, Olive :-) I will have to check out your blog now! I know how it is about time passing -I've been a lurker on quite a few blogs...always meaning to post!

cotedetexas said...

not as good as M.A? too bad - God that was a perfect movie - I listen to the soundtract in my car and think fondly of my punk rock days. love love love M.A.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

this is more a historically accurate movie, joni. MA is probably in my top 5 movies and also one of my favorite soundtracks!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ah, I was waiting for your review! This is one I want to see for the sets and costumes more than the story! I'm glad to hear you liked it and will put it on my list as a big-screener! Thanks!

laura said...

I saw a special screening of this a couple of nights ago and loved it. I'm biased, of course, because I am a scholar of 18th-century Britain and was just drooling over all manner of everything in and about this film. YUM.

with love from Pittsburgh...

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Laura, have you read the book the movie was based on? Is it any good?