Thursday, February 9, 2012

Architectural wedding cake

While in New York this weekend I came across this early skyscraper similar to ones you find all over the country in major cities. While the building type was still new, architects struggled with how to deal with these taller buildings in a traditional/ classical manner. Here this vaguely classical building resembles an architectural wedding cake with many different layers topped with a gilded cupola. Don't get me wrong -I love buildings like this but when you stop to think about them they are rather amusing. On to real cakes; I passed this bakery, Empire Cake, and was blown away by this wedding cake on display which reminded me of the building above. Daisies are my favorite flower and their informal use here on the yellow background was just too pretty to not capture on my camera phone!New York always holds a few surprises for you.

5 comments:

pve design said...

I love daisies too and that cake is lovely....I do love the connection you made to that building.
pve

the designers muse said...

Yummy looking cake! And nice analogy with the top of the sky scraper.

The Swan said...

I may be mistaken, but that Cupola is part of a penthouse...with that being the bedroom. I recall seeing it listed years ago, for a fortune no less - with a dramatic cutaway floor plan...reminded me of the apartment in Baz Luhrmans MOULIN ROUGE overlooking the windmill of The Rouge.

Love the Big Apple...Cakes and ALL!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Swan - that sounds amazing! I wonder if there is a way to find it online..hmm

Lisl said...

haha I love baking and my dream is doing a cake like that. Never thought that I need to be an architect for that, but it confirms me in my study-choice. nice