Saturday, May 22, 2010

Where Fabulous Lives

I spent the afternoon today at Hillwood, the estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post, which I've blogged about many times in the past: House, Gardens, Greenhouse & Japanese Garden. While I did a quick spin through the house and gardens (how could I not?), I was there primarily for the exhibition on Sevres which ends next week.
It was a gorgeous day as you can see and the grounds were PACKED, always a comforting sight.
The exhibition on Sevres was located in the back garden, in the Dacha. The small exhibit ranges from the infancy of the factory in 1740 at Vincennes, to patronage of the French monarchy and works through the year 2000. It was shocking to see how modern a lot of the older pieces were!
As part of the exhibit, the dining and breakfast room tables inside the house are set with some pretty spectacular Sevres. Many thanks to Steve at Hillwood for alerting me to a very special piece of porcelain in the exhibit and inviting me to the estate today. That particular piece was a cup and saucer commissioned by Marie Antoinette for the dairy at the Hamlet of the Petit Trianon! Thanks for thinking of me, Steven!
While walking around, I noticed these bootscrapes by each door, I'm not sure how I missed them before: adorable dachshunds!
Don't less this fantastic opportunity pass you by - visit the exhibit before May 30th!

11 comments:

Terry said...

Thanks. I hope we are building a few places like this today. Places that folks will want to use and restore in 80 years and 180 years.

Adrienne Cox said...

Thanks for these posts!! and to Notting Hill for linking to you -- seeing these is like a respite from the weary, a little present to myself!
ill def head to this devine house soon!

Karena said...

Stefan, oh how I wish I could!! What an amazing property...

Karena
Art by Karena

pve design said...

Delightfully witty and I again thank-you for sharing so many lovely things with each of us - so enriched via Architect Design.
pve

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

jealous.

Anonymous said...

I love how you point out all these masterpieces and qurky places to us. I feel I'm being educated even in my old age. Thanks

Fargerike Dagny said...

Absolutely stunning!! Love all the little details.

Have a fabulous Sunday!

xoxo
dagny

Anonymous said...

Fabulous gardens AND China!!!!! I am so there!!

Gwen Driscoll said...

Amazing and so jealous of you! What a fabulously beautiful place. Hope you had a great time. Have a good week ahead.

Janet said...

You had the perfect weather... sneaking in before the storms!!!

Anonymous said...

I would be there in a snap if I were local! I love the juxtaposition of the whimsical elements and the stately grounds. Thanks very much for sharing these wonderful pics with those of us too far away to visit.