Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hillwood: Japanese Garden

The gardens are one of the real draws of the Hillwood estate. One of the most beautiful is the Japanese Garden. It lies just below the lawn on the back of the house. It basically is a large waterfall with pathways down the hillside into the lower garden. I think it looks best in the fall as seen here. The beautiful foliage was star!
This garden represents a hybrid of American and Japanese gardening traditions. Shogo Myaida was the landscape architect who combined native planting materials with authentic Japanese ones to achieve the desired affect. Mrs. Post was actively involved with Shogo in the 1950s and 60s in the design of this garden.


an interesting shot of the ground

From the garden you see up the hillside to the home

Join me tomorrow for a tour of the home's greenhouse!

All pictures are my own.

11 comments:

pve design said...

My idea of heaven. A Japanese garden.
Gorgeous photos!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Thanks Patricia! It is pretty heavenly :-)

Renée Finberg said...

so pretty.


x o

Roberto Zaghi said...

It looks wonderful in this season.

Anonymous said...

I love the shot of the stones and leaves. Very artistic!

Kwana said...

I wish I were strolling there with just a bit of warm sun on my cheeks.

cotedetexas said...

beautiful - as a little girl I was obsessed with Japanese architecture and gardens - i have no idea why as I'm not today! funny kid. These pictures are wonderful.

and thank you today for such a thoughtful comment - you are so right about that trim - it's too bold and outdated!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked your visit to the Japanese-style garden at Hillwood. I happen to be the gardener in charge of maintaining it and I ran across your site while doing a little online research.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Frances, it was immaculate! I can see how this must be an incredible amount of work year round to keep it looking like this. Thanks so much for stopping by!

studioJudith said...

Such a treat to visit your beautiful photos of Hillwood ... it's been far too many years since I've strolled these halls and gardens! The very best memory was being taken to the back storage rooms -- filled with treasures which are only brought out occasionally. Most memorable was the Hapsburg wedding veil ... by far the most remarkable piece of lace I've ever seen.
I'll look forward to following your nifty blog! Judith

Anonymous said...

So close to me and I've never seen the Estate or Gardens. I will make a point to see these lovely views in person!

~Rose in Maryland