Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Details matter

Sometimes #reallife gets in the way of blogging so I've been noticeably absent even though I have many posts lined up! In lieu of a 'real' post I thought I'd share some great detail shots from my Penpal's latest trip to Great Britain.
 Details matter!  These animals on the end of each pew make church fun!
This pug makes me laugh!
The carving on these column capitals is stunningly lifelike. 
 Ancient hand-painted encaustic tiles.
 Beautiful colorful fabrics.
 And of course in Great Britain everything is heavily gilded.
If you got it flaunt it -isn't that the saying? People love to splash around coats of arms.
 The polychrome sign above is pretty amazing, no?
 A gutter collector box is always a beautiful feature -but in Great Britain they also come GILDED.
Thats not the only gilded part of these ancient buildings.....strapwork hinges! I've never seen anything like this.
 And save a bit of romance for last; together in life, together in death.

10 comments:

MartininBroda said...

What a short, but nevertheless meaningful post.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Thanks Martin! I realize most people just look at the pictures anyway ;-)

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi, Stefan,

Your comment about making church fun through the creativity of the pews reminded me of going to church in my childhood. Our minister had a monotone voice and sermons seemed to drone on forever. And so I studied the stained glass windows, memorizing every nuance of design. The art was what made [that] church bearable. — Great photographs!

MartininBroda said...

Your subsequent commentator has said quite something meaningful as well, but besides that, no, I might be the strange exception, and so I am interested in opinions someone has worked hard for (if so; I'm sorry, my English is quite not existent, but I'm lazy by nature).

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Growing up in the church, literally as my father was a clergyman, I think this love for ecclesiastical architecture is deep rooted in my psyche. It's where communities have always tried to show their 'best' and the buildings are often works of art. Sadly this isn't the case any longer (look at any modern church or government building) but we still have plenty to admire!

MartininBroda said...

For the bad part, indeed, like this in Dresden recently
http://www.moz.de/bild-ansicht/dg/0/3/1388959/1022100397/

Stephilius said...

Delightful, all!

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

pugs were meant to symbolize the "pug"nacious nature of humans! Yes there is a bit of gilding over here. In some boroughs the rubbish bins also have some gilding!

Karena said...

Ah Stefan the carvings on those columns! All of these details are amazing!
The church, as a child I went to mass 6 mornings a week, before Catholic school every day and on Sunday!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Paisley Curtain said...

Though the mankind did not have power tools but what detail work they created with their simple tools or bare hands. One just wonders why do the modern buildings are devoid of such details.

Love the pug, reminds me of my neighbor's "Stella" :)

Have a nice weekend.