Thursday, June 4, 2015

The chairs of Chatsworth

My penpal Neil just returned from a long tour throughout the British Isles where he toured over 40 country houses; just imagine!! He's been filling my inbox with some amazing photographs and I thought I would share with you some of the chairs from Chatsworth.
Arguably one of the most well known houses anywhere, the house is a treasure trove of historic artifacts, amazing significant art, and just plain pretty things. Pictured here is one of a pair of coronation chairs from the reign of George III.
Here is a painting I found online that sold at auction a number of years ago depicting George III in this very chair (I think).
Some other important artifacts are these chairs from Devonshire House made in 1740 by none other than William Kent. Devonshire House was sadly pulled down in 1924.
These are not exactly chairs to pull up to the table for a casual supper!  They are displayed in a room just off the great sculpture hall much like works of art; which they are.
 The grand upholstery on this Regency chair is very suited to the gilt wood.
 I prefer these beautiful needlepoint sidechairs myself.
 This leather armchair looks suited for a very grand library.
Not all of the chairs are so imposing.  This petite French  fruitwood armchair with what appears to be a Braquenie floral fabric would fit into the most modest house.  If you have time be sure to visit the excellent and interesting website of Chatsworth House!

10 comments:

Chronica Domus said...

Wow, all these chairs under one roof, amazing! I cannot wait to view more of your pen pals photos. Touring all of those houses would be a dream of mine.

Stephilius said...

I have an addiction to chairs; not to even sit on, just to look at. These are great. I adore the crazy detail on the leather armchair!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Yes - one day I'll get there and go nuts and see 40 houses or so myself!! One day...

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Stephilius, Charlotte Moss collects chairs too (and I know you do as do I) but she only collects ones with stories. THESE have amazing stories! Coronation chairs, Denonshire House, even just being in Chatsworth!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

My pick would be the Regency chair, but I have to admit that the needlepoint chair, aside from being very handsome, is probably the most comfortable.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Mark, oddly enough I never even considered comfort!!! haha.....I suppose you're right although none are really an 'easy chair'.

Hels said...

This leather armchair really would look good in a very grand library. Mine, for example :)

But do the chairs look very wide because the photographs are taken from a low angle, or did they need great width for the ladies' dresses?

Karena said...

Stefan, what a wonderful friend you have to share so generously with us! These chairs are indeed works of art! The frames, the carvings, the fabrics! Have a wonderful weekend!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Jackson Pollock Mural

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Stefan,
I can't even imagine touring 40 homes ... but seriously would enjoy trying. Your pen pal friend is gracing us all with his travels, please thank him from all of us who benefit and enjoy his photos. I will check out the Chatsworth House web site and I'm really enjoying the leather side chair in all its unique masculine design.
xo,
Vera

cotedetexas said...

I love Chatsworth. Maybe because I grew up on a street named Chatsworth! I was obsessed with that house for a long time some years ago. Those chairs are incredible. Great story!!!