Thursday, March 19, 2015

Holly Hunt opening at Washington Design Center

Yesterday (March 18, 2015) was the grand opening of our new Washington Design Center. Washington is finally coming into its own and our new design center just goes to prove that. These gorgeous light-filled showrooms are at the heart of the New Washington action on 14th street NW.
The crowds were soul-crushing, as one expects at these events, but it's important for design professionals to go out and network; share ideas and potential new jobs! I only attended the Holly Hunt showroom opening party out of many events with some very dear friends (hi Steph and Mark!) and thought I would share some highlights with you.
The Holly Hunt showroom is the largest in the design center I believe, measuring in at 10,000 SF over 2 floors. It also is the only showroom to feature a street entrance -welcoming in the public.  The ground floor focuses on the more modern collections carried by Holly Hunt while the 2nd floor focuses on the more DC-centric traditional lines. Above the cozy Coco Sofa was empty and beckoning us over to get away from the crowd!
I briefly chatted with Holly Hunt who was delightful. She is intensely focused on bringing new artists and work to the public -meeting and working directly with the artists on items such as their lines of (brilliant) lighting which are the focus of my snapshots here!  Alison Berger is one of the prominent lighting artists with these delicious handblown glass fixtures seen in the images here. Above is the Lure sconce - nothing is MORE alluring than a sconce (my favorite lighting source!).
Most popular with us were the Sea Urchin pendants with heavily seeded glass featured below over a nightstand. These are designed by an artist named Stefan Gulassa, no relation (for those readers who don't know, my name is also Stefan).
I loved their updated version of the classic wingchair below upholstered in rope with a luxurious velvet cushion (in my favorite turquoise -this would fit right into my own apartment, how I wish!)
Be sure to visit Holly Hunt here in DC at the new Washington Design Center, they'll be happy to see you!

4 comments:

Karena said...

Holly's Showroom looks like it is well worth the visit with so much space and ambiance for her collections!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
A New Gallery in Town!

Unknown said...

So sorry I missed seeing you! I love the Holly Hunt showroom; it is exquisite! Maybe we can meet up next time? xo Nancy

Deana Sidney said...

I really like the coco couch. There was a copy of the original Chanel on Craig's list that I missed by an hour. I told myself at 90-odd inches it was too big for the room anyway but... sigh.
Lovely tour. I like the way Holly thinks and her stuff is just lovely.

My Notting Hill said...

The showroom looks wonderful. The natural light is terrific! Wish I could have made it over there.