Friday, August 29, 2014

Playful architectural trimwork

On Cape Cod last month I noticed this charming cottage while on a bike ride and had to stop to take pictures like any self respecting architect. What I really appreciated was the playful trimwork and beautiful colors used; vintage yet fresh.
Oddly enough this house is only a block away from another I featured a few years ago, Carpenter's Gothic and has the same beachy charm.
I won't comment on the fake roofing material but the natural wood shingles and shades of green trim have my vote! What do you think?

2 comments:

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Stefan your choice of words "playful" was spot one. I love the playfulness of this charming home. I'm sure the neighborhood finds delight in the color combination and thanks for sharing this sweet home. Enjoy Labor Day weekend.
Vera

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Hi Stefan,

I like both the trim and the colors, but what really won me over was that looking at the enlarged image I noticed that the window panes are original to the house. They have the very apparent swirly distortion of glass that has settled over the years. I used to live in an 1800's house with windows like that, and looking through them always made me realize that I was part of a continuum.