Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Filoli Summer House

The most magical spot at Filoli is probably the Summe House, also known as the tea house or more commonly known as a garden pavilion. Little accessory structures like this area always the jewel of any estate; Just think of the follies of English Country Homes.
Sitting between the walled garden and the formal garden adjoining the house which I showed the other day HERE, the small structure has views from its one room of all areas of the estate: the house, the formal gardens, the pool area, the walled garden and last but not least the gorgeous mountain view.The room is floored with 3 types of marble in a graphic grid pattern and paneled with ornate boiseries. Designed by Arthur Brown Jr., this is the same formality seen at his well known SF City Hall (which I'll post about next week) but on a MUCH smaller scale. He made elegant grandeur cozy; Just who wouldn't want to have tea here?These lovely sconces were originally intended for the stair well in the house, but fit in nicely here too adding to the formality of the space.This column above is a copy of the Satyr plant stand found in Pompeii and was originally in the Bourn's SF house, as was the marble table in the center of the room.
The comfortable wicker chairs and profusion of plants bring life to the space. I can imagine it being a lovely cool spot on a hot day because of all the marble. Had it been seen empty, it might appear to be a very sunny mausoleum!
Some closeups of the very elegant woodwork. Someone worked very hard getting everything to meet JUST SO.
You can't miss the summer house in the gardens and before our guide took us in, I think every person in the group managed to ask if we would see inside! Tomorrow -more of the gardens.

8 comments:

katiedid said...

Lovely...just lovely. Sitting in my AC to get out of the 100 degree heat, this just looks so cool and peaceful. Thanks Stefan!!

Anonymous said...

Nice focal point for a garden! Love the woodwork & pilasters. Very elegant indeed.

M.A said...

It looks amazing. Put me in it with my drawing board and i'am the happiest person in the world.

La Boheme said...

The summer house is my favorite at the Filoli. When I was there I couldn't stop seeing this being my studio with beautiful gardens surrounding me! Aaah, a girl has to dream!!

The Down East Dilettante said...

"Who wouldn't want to have tea here"

You mean who wouldn't want to live in this tea house!

Janet said...

I could live in there all summer. DED and I are moving in...

Roberto Zaghi said...

Your latest posts are wonderful!
Lovely blog, thanks for sharing.

philippine homes said...

Beautiful and lovely summer house this is. You live in such a wonderful place.

Deirdre G