Friday, August 1, 2014

A 'Duesy' of a Duesenberg

Recently while in Maine visiting friends I spent some time in the lovely, revitalized town of Portsmouth, New Hampshire; definitely worth a visit let me tell you, charming town! While walking the streets I noticed this fantastic car and thought 'WHAT IS THAT?'. Clean lines like a greyhound and obviously much beloved by its owner in pristine condition.
Duesenberg was an American luxury car company in operation from 1913 until 1937 when it succumbed to the depression. Each car was a limited production and entirely built by hand so they are obviously much valued by collectors today (such as Jay Leno and a fantastic looking car MUSEUM).
While I don't even own a car myself (believe it or not, Americans) and have never considered myself a 'car person' I definitely appreciate the design of many antique cars. Have you noticed any extraordinary cars lately?

7 comments:

Stephilius said...

I'm totally with you on this; decidedly NOT a car person, but those amazing touring car of the Twenties and Thirties give me a thrill. Such dash, such glamour!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Well Stefan you certainly photographed an amazing restoration of a Duesenberg. The Great Gatsby era cars are glamorous. John and I are vintage French car (Citroën) lovers. We restored our 1972 DS Pallas and enjoy seeing the reactions on peoples faces when we take it out for a leisurely drive, besides attending car shows it's fun to see peoples expressions. You would laugh as we drive it into our row-homes garage
because it truly is a shoehorn fit! Thanks for posting this beauty as I am sure it will stay in your memory of stunning American motorcar design.
Vera

Unknown said...

Hi Stefan - I love vintage cars and this one is extraordinary! I hope you're having a great summer. Xo Nancy

home before dark said...

I'm not a car person either. Except I did own a 1965 mustang when I was a pup. The lines on this car are beautiful. I can see why your artistic eye was drawn to its elegance.

Foodie said...

This car is actually not a Duesey, but an Auburn boattail speedster. There are also many reproductions around that have been produced since the early to mid-70's. This could perhaps be one of them. New or old, they are gorgeous cars!

My Notting Hill said...

Wow, that is one amazing vintage car to run into. I could see you driving around in that!

The Down East Dilettante said...

I was a car mad little boy---before I became a house mad young (now old) man---and a car like that still makes my heart race.

And spot on about Portsmouth, my favorite of all the old New England seaport cities.