Monday, December 3, 2012

VMFA collections

The collections of the VMFA are broad, they have definitely benefited from some generous and high profile patrons. To be honest, I was astonished at the quality of the collections given the moderate size of the city.
These diverse collections included a lot of my favorite genres such as decorative arts and a room of beautiful 18th century paintings like the Guardi above.
I loved this mantel clock designed by Scottish designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1917.
 These enormous andirons were sculpted by Edgar Brandt in 1926 -they speak to the time period.
 I also loved this sculptural chaise longue by noted designer Eileen Gray.
One of the large collections is based on the collection of Sydney and Frances Lewis from 1971 of Art Nouveau objects and furnishings. The Gruber desk and chair above date from 1898.
I loved the fluid lines of these lamps of Loie Fuller from the same time period by Raoul Francois Larche.
 Bulbs are cleverly hidden in the flowing tresses of the statue.
 This magnificent bedroom suite must have been designed for an extremely large bedroom.
 They were designed by Louis Majorelle.
And of course the art deco master, EJ Ruhlmann, was well represented.
I loved this Ruhlmann desk from 1926 and the framed grouping of Barbier prints.
This set of 4 silver gilt salts by Paul Storr date to 1813 but would be right at home on my dining room table!
And as I mentioned in my previous posting, the Roman mosaic of the 4 seasons is one of the highlights in the museum.
 So many little pieces of stone and glass and all done by hand over 1700 years ago!
This magnolia and apple blossom stained glass window was made by Tiffany Glass for the Dimock residence study in Elizabeth, NJ in 1900. Sadly, I think it's not shown to its' best effect as what you see as white is actually clear glass. They need a mural or scene painted behind.
Following the fashion, a large exhibit has been mounted on Dale Chihuly through Feb 10th and this dramatic chandelier was hung in the modern entrance lobby.  I will bring you some stunning pictures from that exhibit in my next post.

6 comments:

Parnassus said...

What a fabulous collection, especially for the decorative arts. My favorite here must be the Roman mosaic, although your selections are so varied that it is hard to choose among them.

I read a while ago that the Richmond Museum was given the incredible Herter bedroom from Rockefeller's house in New York City--did you see this in evidence there, or hasn't it been installed?
--Road to Parnassus

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

The photos of the art nouveau bedroom jogged a memory that I have been there. It was a brief visit when I was in college and I insisted on going. Funny, we forget things.

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Well, I obviously need to make another trip, because, though I visited the museum in the early 70s, these pieces are all new to me. It speaks well of a museum and a community that the exhibits grow and evolve so much.

Kwana said...

Just beautiful. I love the stained glass. Thanks for sharing.

Arnold in Nottingham said...

The bedroom suites and sculpted chaise longue are stunning

Bob Healy said...

The lamps are not BY Loie Fuller but OF Loie Fuller, who was a well-known dancer, not a sculpter