Saturday, February 27, 2010

Oscars Greenroom

Are you looking forward to this year's Oscars, anxious to know who will win? Precious, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock? Well, one person who is winning is Architectural Digest. Each year they do the greenroom for the presenters to relax in and this year they are outdoing themselves with a room by Roger Thomas. He was inspired by Hollywood movies from the 1930s (an era I love) but there are a lot of items that hit current trends as well, such as the Chinese screen backdrop.

The floors will have a polished black base with speckled paint to look like the backlot of a movie studio, or as Thomas says “a contemporary version of those that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers would glide across in the 1930s.”

I can't wait to see the finished product in the magazine. Also of note, the design drawing is by noted illustrator Jeffrey Schneider and is really a piece of art!

12 comments:

lady jicky said...

I think it will look very tasteful this year going by the drawing!

Dandy said...

What a wonderful rendering. Looks like marker to me. So well done. Beautiful renderings always knock me out. They can be so time consuming, but I have had teachers who could really whip them out. Amazing talent. And the room is nice, too!

Karena said...

Very excited, Oscars is night a such a Hollywood tradition. With sets, costumes, film sites fascinating all us more and more, I can't wait!

Karena

ArchitectDesign™ said...

The rendering might be even better than the room! It's a real artform.

Alexandra Rae said...

I agree. Such renderings are an artform, and time consuming. Thanks for posting this. Hope we can see the finished room.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the concensus that the artwork is great, but for me the room looks fussy. Maybe as a garden designer I don't get it, but...... I am however loving those screens in the background!

Thanks for the great post as always!

Best wishes

Robert

Rose C'est La Vie said...

Well I never! A custom-designed green room every year. This looks great but dreadful to contemplate it being dismantled afterwards. It seems as awful a waste as the brief life of London's Serpentine Gallery's annual pavilion. But then of course, this strategy always makes way for more excitement.

The Sluice Box said...

What a wonderful blog you have. Delighted to have discovered it.
-Aaron

Linda Merrill said...

That rendering is amazing. And, you beat me to the post!

My Notting Hill said...

That rendering is beautiful. Looks like it will be a great room too. Those screens really make the room for me.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is an amazing... work of art & talent!! I am super impressed... Loved the home tour.. the make overs.. etc.. etc.. Amazing!!

FancyPants-design said...

I love your blog! That rendering Jeffrey Schneider did is amazing!!!