Monday, April 6, 2009

a modern approach

If you live in DC, chances are you live in a tradition style home. Strict neighborhood associations prevent much alteration in the best neighborhoods so you're required to live in a historical setting (for tourism reasons, maybe? I really enjoy a more eclectic environment myself). Recently however, I came upon a house in Georgetown that really felt like a great concession between traditional and modern design. A few quick little updates and this typical DC rowhouse gets a modern edge.No major exterior renovation appears to have happened (probably not allowed by local associations!) but the application of bright white paint over the brick and painting the windows black with grey trim keeps things looking more modern, don't you think? Even the very linear bushes seem updated, as do the replaced light fixtures. Most people overlook their window blinds but they're so important to the exterior of the house! Here, clean and uniform blinds lend a very contemporary look (no crooked curtains or askance mini blinds!) You can even see a very modern chandelier shining through the window in the rear bay. I love this mix of the old and new!
Sorry peeking Toms, I've been a good neighbor and photoshopped the street address out of the photos!

12 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

There should be a name for people like you and me and Joni, who admire homes and architecture and like to share our admiration with the blogger community. Not stalkers, not peeking toms...maybe blogkers? Blogtoms?

I thoroughly enjoyed this little view into a neighborhood of DC. I particularly like the glimpse at the chandelier. I must say, though, that even if I lived in this urban environment, I would strive to keep the blinds open. I can't imagine living in a house that is closed off to the world (as much as proximity to neighbors might call for it).

cotedetexas said...

Stalkogs?hehe
love this! I love the gate with the finials on top too. Good stalking. Call it what it is!

Terry said...

I just see elegance.

To me, if you could strip the ornament and decoration off a great house, you'd be left with a great house.

As my architect friend, Carl, says, if it doesn't feel right as you are building it, it won't feel right when you are done no matter how you decorate it.

pve design said...

I love it, I could easily move there. I love white and the trim color looks like my home.
That gate is simply chic, is that a mailbox on the gate that I see?

ArchitectDesign™ said...

TTI & CdT, I think it's a disease..I'm addicted -I can't stop! Stalking sounds closest -realestalkers?
Terry, I agree with taking off the ornamentation. Most of these houses though start out pretty bland on the exterior-the paint livens things up!
Nothing like a coat of white paint to freshen things up, Pve! Yes, the mailbox is on the gate to the sideyard, I loved that!

Living the life in The Little City said...

That's a very handsome house.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Handsome is the perfect word for this house, Kathleen!

Janet said...

Have you seen that town house on 21st Street, just north of N? Very modern. I think it is for sale, in fact.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'll have to check it out, Janet! Is it the modern duplex house?

Janet said...

I believe it has been converted to apartments. It is sort of grey/blue, next to the alley.

Rose C'est La Vie said...

Thanks for a glimpse of a secret corner of DC. This is a stylish but honest treatment of what might otherwise have been a not particularly distinguished house.

Summer is a Verb said...

hmmm...will be on the lookout during my next walk around the hood. It'll be like a little scavanger hunt! And, btw, the best walks to take around G'town are at night when people have their interior lights. Facilitates the peeking.