Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The secret life of bees

This past weekend I went to see the movie 'The secret life of bees' based on the best-selling book from 2002 by Sue Monk Kidd. You MUST see this movie, it was so good! I went in not knowing much about the story; went purely by the phenomenal cast. That did not disappoint: Each performance was amazing. Jennifer Hudson as Rosaleen Daise redeemed herself after her awful acting on 'Sex and the City movie', Alicia Keys as June Boatwright proves that she can act as well as sing (and how insanely beautiful she is), Queen Latifah as August Boatwright was her awesome loveable self and Dakota Fanning as Lily Owens was brilliant, that little girl has SKILLS.Without giving any of the plot away, the film deals with civil rights & history, racism, feminism, religion, lonliness and the need to be loved and the search for one's identity. Pretty heavy stuff, huh? While this is a movie that will make you think, it will also make you FEEL. Go and see it tonight, you won't leave with a dry eye! You can read more about the movie online at the official website
Dakota is turning into a pretty young lady with acting chops!

10 comments:

Kwana said...

I really want to see this. MY DD saw it with friends and loved it. She wants to see it again, hopefully with me.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Kwana, go and see it post haste! It's SO good!!!!

niartist said...

I am so with you on this movie! I went to see with my partner and a gf on Saturday and loved it. She read the book during a cottage weekend this summer at the beach, and even she was happy with the movie version. You know how sometimes you can read a book and then the movie and be severely disappointed? Anyway - loved it, will definitely rent it for a deep winter movie night!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I'm glad you liked it too, Niartist! It's definitely a movie I'll be watching again -good idea for a cozy evening at home!

pve design said...

Loved the book and have it - should you like to borrow it. Hope to see the movie this week.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I'm reading the novel right now (yes, I'm several years behind the rest of the world on that). I was wondering if the movie would live up to it. Can't wait to see it now!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Julia, I never had even heard of this before the movie _I NEED to read it now -but now from my perspective I hope the book lives up to the movie!
Patricia, would love to read the book :-)

katiedid said...

I have got to see this. I read it awhile back on my book group and my daighters have read it too. Definitely a family outing!

cotedetexas said...

my parents were talking about how great this is! I'll wait for the video - I always do! in fact i finally got to see sntcity - last weekend and boy phew - what a stinker! i was soooo disappointed! am I the only one? everyone raved about it.

teaorwine said...

The book was great! I have added the film version to my Netflix queue.