Monday, June 30, 2008

Travel

I've had travel on my mind lately due to my guest blogging over at PVE on the art of travel. I keep thinking of all the places I have yet to visit that are must -sees! Probably #1 on my list is Venice.I've heard people says it is touristy, over-rated or smelly, but nothing beats the romance and beauty of that crumbly, mouldy city in all its excess. I think my love affair with the city began when I first saw 'A room with a view' at a very young age. Many of my favorite artists over time have also been obsessed with this fair city. I've heard it compared to Stockholm, which I know very well, but the images from Venice are just so much more appealing (even though Stockholm is amazing!).
What exactly is the draw of this fair city? Please leave stories, must-sees and your own impressions of Venice in comments! Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to experience it for myself!

8 comments:

pve design said...

Venice is a must on your travel list.
I have been twice and loved it both times.
Thanks for guest blogging for me.
We just found an adapter here... long story!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I hope your trip is fantastic, pve!!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

One draw, obviously a major one, is the architecture. For me, however, it is that the city is crisscrossed by canals. All that water everywhere is quite magical to see and somewhat bizarre as well, the solid masonry and the lapping waters.

Anonymous said...

Love Venice too, A must read is James Morris, (he became Jan Morris later)the book called Venice. It is my favorite book and you will learn things about Venice not found anywhere like this.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

And don't forget John Julius Norwich's book about Venice too.

Unknown said...

From the many places on earth I have been to I can recommend those which will alter from now to then. In Asia things never will be the same tomorrow. So if you are interested in seeing places as they have been for ages, go to Asia first. Off the beaten track, take your time and get the feeling. Easiest travelling is Thailand, also Indonesia or India. Only don't wait, get your backpack ready and go.
As for Venice, yes, not necessarily today, next year is good enough maybe for Carnival(February) to see people change their identity and dress up in wonderful masks.
Gina from Germany
see my blog and diashow on
http://www.ginanews05.blogspot.com/

breathing in the dreaming world said...

the moment you arrive, it is absolutely magical, every time. one summer i stayed in a beautiful old hotel with my boyfriend, our window faced the water. it thunder stormed all night, and the lightning crackling and exploding each time it hit the water was terrifying, yet beautiful and extraordinary. you must go!

Anonymous said...

I have been to Venice. You can't beat Venice for history. I remember seeing in my textbook,when young, merchants of the 1400 & 1500s standing around the plaza in their pumpkin pants, tights, and velvet hats. To be able to stand on the same plaza and bricks as those merchants is thrilling and to see and touch the same buildings, oh my. Yes, you can see cabbage, etc floating in the canals by the markets but it didn't seem wrong. We gondolaed right by Marco Polos family house which still stands. That was also a thrill. Go. Go. Walk, breathe, listen to the old buildings they will tell you their stories. Betty.